skip to main |
skip to sidebar
We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day. ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce
One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: To rise above the little things. ~John Burroughs

With the New Year we always have these amazing New Year Resolutions we try to fulfill....January is usually a pretty good month as far as sticking to the goals but after that it all usually falls to pieces. This year I told myself I was going to ease into everything that I wanted to fix, accomplish, strive for, reach, etc....I feel good about my decision because I am just getting warmed up....and no that's not because of the sun FINALLY coming out today!!!
I'm completely into decorating as you know if you have been following my blog or know me personally. One of my goals is to always find some good finds!! I want to either keep them and spruce up my home, or resell them and make some extra cash. I'm really into the Shabby Chic and French Provincial items right now. This month already I've been finding a lot of "trash to treasure" items which I have always been into since way back when I had my own apartment.
For years Hubbie has always put up with me pulling over on the side of the road and finding a treasure. It goes way way back to a time when we lived in Charlotte, where I found an old waterbed headboard with built in shelves leaned up against the apt trash container. I came back to the apt and asked my honey to help me carry it in because we needed one and I thought I had just found GOLD. Well my sweet honey refused to help me and told me it was the biggest piece of junk he'd ever had seen and he would not help me. Well......I can't even tell you who exactly helped me, but I found a strong guy around the Apt complex and probably batted my brown eyes at him and asked if he could help me carry it into my apt because my husband would not. WaLa...I just scored a new waterbed headboard :) I think after that my Hubbie knew there would be no stopping me when I saw something I wanted....well from the trash that is!! To this day I keep a very close eye on large items I see on the ends of driveways....believe me I have scored a lot of cool things and yes, not so cool things.
The other thing I LOVE, which brings me back to my original thought, is Consignment Stores, Thrift Stores, Second Hand Clothing Stores, and even Good Will Stores. YES I shop at them all and you will find me a regular at several!!! This is not to say that I won't go shop at Nordstroms and buy a ridiculously priced pair of jeans or shoes, or go to an overpriced teenie bopper store and buy my daughter a shirt with the name of the store right on it!!! Yes I am guilty of that too. But believe me I would shop at the consignments and second hand stores every week if I could....I find some pretty CUTE stuff!! I LOVE to save money when I can...It allows me to buy more AND when I get tired of clothes or furniture I know how and where to resell them for profit. The other source I have had good luck with is Craigs List...I've done a lot of wheelin and dealin with that and it has always turned out positive!!

The typical NY Resolution of course is getting into shape and for me wanting a stomach and waist like this....will it ever happen...well it's worth trying!! Lots of vacation plans coming up so no time like the present in getting fit and having goals!!

Along with a fitness program my goal is to to raise my heart rate everyday and get that blood flowing....burning that fat and having a healthy heart is what we all need to strive for!!!

Riding my bike a lot more this year. We were pretty good last year but went in spurts....I'd like to ride the trails more this year and really see a difference!

No No that's not true. Getting my house more organized....always working on that with 4 children is a challenge.
Of course there are so many more personal resolutions I have, but through it all this says it the best!! Keep Calm and Carry On - It's always a good reminder! Happy New Year and keep your Resolutions going strong!!!
2 comments:
Ok - I needed to hear that. We've had a rough go over here lately and I love the saying Keep Calm and Carry On. Love it. Thanks for lifting my chin up for me!!
steph
I love consignment stores! Probably 90% of my clothes come from a local consignment store. I got a DKNY shirt for 3 bucks!
Post a Comment